Suggestions for Voxel Shop

Guides, Q&A, Suggestions

Suggestions for Voxel Shop

Postby HeadClot » Thu 24. Apr 2014, 23:19

Hey,

I recently discovered Voxel Shop and I would like to use if for a game I want to make with UE4.

Anyway suggestion time...

1. Voxel object to an optimized Low Poly mesh (.FBX, .OBJ, .DAE, etc.)
2. UV Map Generation for Low Poly Objects for export within Unreal Engine (Bake a diffuse map from the selected colors of the mesh for the UVs)
3. Scale tool (If not already available) with the ability to lock scaling along different or Multiple axis

Thank you for your time,

Ben
HeadClot

Re: Suggestions for Voxel Shop

Postby flux » Thu 24. Apr 2014, 23:27

Hello Ben!

Welcome to the forum and thank you very much for the suggestions!

1) Optimized export to .DAE (COLLADA) will be coming very soon! I'm working full speed on it atm and it's already looking great! Very exited about it =)
2) I'm not actually sure what the suggestion is. Maybe b/c I don't know enough about UE4 =) If you could elaborate that would be great!
3) I agree, scale tool is still needed. There are some more pressing things first though.

Happy coding =)
flux
flux
Administrator

Postby HeadClot » Thu 24. Apr 2014, 23:53

Hey Flux,

Thank you for the warm welcome and you are welcome :)

As for suggestion #2 - I would like a UV Map generated pre export when I convert the voxel object to a mesh using the color information (aka Texture) from the surface voxels (Example: If the bark a voxel tree is brown then the color for the texture should be brown on the mesh object) however the texture and the mesh should be separate.

I am not sure what would be required to do this.

Thank you for your very quick reply,

Ben
HeadClot

Postby flux » Fri 25. Apr 2014, 00:11

Ah, I think I understand. Yes that will be coming with the COLLADA exporter. Will hopefully have it ready next week!
flux
Administrator

Postby flux » Fri 25. Apr 2014, 23:28

I guess you were talking about something like this?

(click to enlarge)
flux
Administrator

Postby HeadClot » Sat 26. Apr 2014, 00:51

flux wrote:I guess you were talking about something like this?

(click to enlarge)

Yep That is what I was talking about :)
HeadClot

Postby yankeeracers » Fri 2. May 2014, 02:50

Hi!

I may not be using the right terminology because I am not sure what it is called. Looking at the picture, it seems like the optimized exporter will combine whichever voxels it can to reduce the number of triangles. I am also wondering if we can hollow out the model, so that only the visible faces are left? For example, all the voxels inside the characters head that are never seen could also be removed? And even the sides and back of the voxels that are seen, but are only seen on one side. All the sides that aren't seen could be removed from those too? That would be a great part of optimizing the models.

Thank you for this great program!
yankeeracers

Postby HeadClot » Fri 2. May 2014, 02:56

yankeeracers wrote:I may not be using the right terminology because I am not sure what it is called. Looking at the picture, it seems like the optimized exporter will combine whichever voxels it can to reduce the number of triangles. I am also wondering if we can hollow out the model, so that only the visible faces are left? For example, all the voxels inside the characters head that are never seen could also be removed? And even the sides and back of the voxels that are seen, but are only seen on one side. All the sides that aren't seen could be removed from those too? That would be a great part of optimizing the models.

Curious about this as well :)
HeadClot

Postby flux » Fri 2. May 2014, 09:11

If I understand your question correctly, this is one of the very first optimization techniques that is usually always applied. So yes, it will do that.

Backface culling will also work for the exported objects.

And I'm working on an option to "remove caves" when exporting.

I hope that addresses all your concerns =)
flux
Administrator

Postby yankeeracers » Fri 2. May 2014, 17:08

Very cool!
yankeeracers

Next

Return to VoxelShop