Texture problems in Unity

Guides, Q&A, Suggestions

Re: Texture problems in Unity

Postby flux » Mon 2. Jun 2014, 22:55

Np, there was certainly a bug for me. But that seems to be related to not using a graphic card.

I really need to get a computer where I can test this. Could you try asking for help on the unity forums? It might be a while before I find time unfortunately.
flux
Administrator

Postby 7BiTpsycho » Tue 3. Jun 2014, 14:21

I doubt that this bug is related to Unity as my UV maps created in Maya work just fine. But I'll try anyways, maybe someone ran into a similar problem before.
7BiTpsycho

Postby flux » Tue 3. Jun 2014, 14:25

7BiTpsycho wrote:I doubt that this bug is related to Unity as my UV maps created in Maya work just fine. But I'll try anyways, maybe someone ran into a similar problem before.

It's not a bug. But they will know which settings to tweak.
flux
Administrator

Postby Nodalis » Tue 14. Oct 2014, 07:34

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I recently found and tried voxelshop and was running into this same problem in unity. When exporting and opening in unity3d I am receiving the same gradient blending as the previous posts. I see that the last post said someone might know some settings to tweak in unity. I have looked all through unity and have not found any way to correctly map the UV to models unless exporting in naive mode.. has anyone figured this out yet?
Nodalis

Postby JFFM » Thu 25. Dec 2014, 05:17

Hi All,

Unity Dev here.

Your texture settings need to be:

Texture Type: Advanced
Non Power of 2: None
Import Type: Default
Generate Mip Maps: Off
Wrap Mode: Clamp
Filter Mode: Point

Very very important.

By nature, Unity will blend your textures a little - and as these are very very small, the filter mode and mip maps will blur them slightly. Non-Power of 2 stops your texture being automatically scaled / stretched.

Hope that helps

-JF
JFFM

Postby JFFM » Thu 25. Dec 2014, 08:04

And following up that thought:

I've put together a little Unity Editor extension that will hopefully give you a little thrill.

You can download the package here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46162333/VoxelShop/VoxelShop_Unity_Helper.unitypackage
Note: The package was made in Unity v4.5.4.

To use it:

Import it into your Unity project (double click it with Unity open or hit Asset > Import Package)

It'll add a menu to your Editor: "VoxelShop"

There are two functions:

Apply Ideal Texture Settings will go through all of the Textures you select in your project view and apply the settings I mentioned in the post above. That'll save some time!

Convert to Vertex Coloring is something you might not need - but to use it:

1) Select the model you've imported from VoxelShop (DAE format)
2) Select the texture you've imported form VoxelShop
3) Hit the menu item

This will do a whole bunch of things - with the net result of converting your VoxelShop model from texture to vertex coloring.
It will also create a bunch of folders to save all of the resulting assets to.

That'll do it!

I'm not a big forum person - but if you've got any questions / requests etc, I'm on twitter as @DopplerInteract
http://www.twitter.com/DopplerInteract

-JFFM
JFFM

Postby Nodalis » Thu 25. Dec 2014, 22:00

You sir are a God among Men. Just as I was starting to give up hope with voxelshop models in unity, you've come to save the day. I will try your settings you suggested, as well as the extension plugin.

Thank you for posting this.
Nodalis

Postby JFFM » Fri 26. Dec 2014, 07:03

Thanks for the kind words! Glad I could help ;)

I've updated the tool (same link) and added a new forum thread here:

http://blackflux.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49

The update adds texture atlassing and model UV modification - so you can use only one Unity material for... a whole load of VoxelShop models. Which is great news for Unity performance.

-JFFM
JFFM

Previous

Return to VoxelShop